What Makes a Great Criminal Defense Attorney? When you want an attorney for your trial, your choice for legal assistance can make the difference in whether you walk out free or end up in the slammer. There are many attorneys and law firms out there, both good and bad, but by considering a few qualities you can ensure that your criminal defense attorney is prepared to offer professional defense for your case. Learn how to find a San Diego criminal defense attorney that best represents you.
1. Experience For attorneys, a solid knowledge of law and understanding of the legal framework separates professionals from amateurs, and that understanding requires firsthand experience. You should look for an attorney who has had a high-quality legal education and considerable experience as an attorney. This also means that you should seek someone specializing specifically in criminal defense.
2. Unbiased Professional While it is helpful if your attorney has a sense of personal involvement in your case or sincerely believes in your innocence, it is more beneficial if your attorney simply cares about their responsibility to give you a fair and professional defense. This quality assures you that no matter what crime you are charged with or the circumstances, you will get the best service possible.
3. Proactive For your attorney to really come to your defense, they must take initiative and go beyond the bare minimum of support. For instance, your attorney should consistently inform you of your legal rights and take the time to meet with you to discuss your case. Likewise, they need to personally investigate beyond just the police and prosecution reports to ensure a full defense. Any delay can hinder your case, so someone who is aggressive and vigilant in your defense is critical.
4. Sufficient Time and Resources Because it is so important that your lawyer goes above and beyond in your legal defense, you need to make sure that the attorney has enough resources at their disposal. Attorneys that cannot provide an office may lack basic legal aids for your trial. You should also check that your attorney isn’t too popular, as having too many clients at once makes it hard to focus on any specific case.
5. Local Reputation The course of the trial is influenced tremendously by the exact setting of the court, and it behooves you to have a lawyer who not only has a good understanding of the local court system but also has a positive reputation in court. An attorney who remains respectful in court, for example, is a lot better than someone who has caused trouble in court and offended the judge before.
6. Verified Credibility It’s great when you find a criminal defense attorney who seems to have all of the qualities you are looking for, but before you make a choice, check that they have the credentials to back up those claims. A good attorney will be certified and be readily searchable in both legal records and online, so take the time to research your attorney. Take note of any reviews or information that contradicts what he or she has told you. Furthermore, you have an in-person meeting with the individual to get a feel for his or her character and ascertain that you’re getting the kind of lawyer you wanted.
7. High-Quality Criminal Defense Criminal trials are a serious matter, and you need someone good to have your back at court. If you’re looking for the best San Diego criminal defense attorney, the Law Office of Bradley Corbett has all of the key elements to ensure professional defense no matter your case. Learn more about our criminal defense services and what we can do for you.
Bradley Corbett is a criminal defense attorney in San Diego. He graduated from Brigham Young University in Provo Utah in 2004. Later he enrolled at Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego where he participated in a prestigious internship program with the Los Angeles County Public Defender. Since then he has handled over 2,000 cases.