Arson is a felony that cannot be taken lightly. Due to the severity of the possible punishment for arson charges, it is absolutely necessary for you to find a qualified San Diego criminal defense attorney to help defend your case of arson in California.
In San Diego, California, someone who commits arson, can be described as maliciously or recklessly setting fire to your or another’s property, structure, or land.
- Maliciously: When someone in San Diego commits arson to, damage someone’s property with a motive, deceive an insurance company, or to purposely cause harm to someone.
- Recklessly: When you ignore safety precautions and put others in danger. Like setting off fireworks during a drought in a field or flammable area. Another example would be, not properly disposing of a cigarette and starting a fire.
There are many different classifications arson charges which fall under which range of misdemeanors to felonies. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Bradley R. Corbett are experienced in all forms of criminal defense and can help you if you have been accused of committing arson in San Diego.
Arson is a felony in San Diego
Depending on the severity of the offense, you could face arson charges in San Diego, that require the prosecution to show willful malicious intent. A lower level of prosecution would be considered unlawful fire causation, most often considered a “reckless act.” A misdemeanor arson charge can carry penalties and punishment of up to one year in county jail and/or a fine of up to $1000. Felony charges for arson in California are much more serious, with penalties of up to $50,000 in fines and anywhere from 16 months to 9 years in California state prison if convicted.
What can determine your arson charges:
- Was someone’s property damaged while you were burning your own?
- Did the burned structure or land in San Diego have occupants?
- Was anyone injured as a result of the arson in California?
Charged for Committing Arson? Call Corbett in San Diego
Don’t face arson charges alone. Let our San Diego criminal defense attorneys help defend your arson case and secure your future. We know is arson a felony and the different levels of arson charges. Let us will work side by side with you to help you and your loved ones through the entire legal process. Don’t leave your future to chance — call or visit the Law Offices of Bradley R. Corbett, in San Diego, for a free consultation today.