Sales and transportation of a controlled substance in California is a felony crime. While those buying acontrolled substance like marijuana get off with little more than a minimal fine, selling or transporting marijuana can land you in state prison for 2-4 years. Without the right San Diego criminal defense attorney on your side, you could be seeing the maximum penalty. We have the experience and knowledge to help effectively defend your case.
There are many caveats to the sales and transportation laws that affect the possible penalty. What county you live in, how much of the controlled substance you have with you, and other factors can add to the penalties and fines. The law states that the controlled substance found had to be a “usable amount.”
The prosecution in this type of case is looking to prove five things in order to secure a felony conviction:
- That you sold, furnished, administered, gave away, or transported a controlled substance
- That you knew of the controlled substance’s presence
- That you knew of the substance’s nature or character as a controlled substance
- That the substance found was in fact controlled
- That the controlled substance was in a usable amount
Most often in a sales/transport case, law enforcement will utilize a sting operation. The San Diego criminal defense lawyers at the Law Offices of Bradley R. Corbett are more than familiar with this tactic and have successfully defended these cases using the entrapment legal defense. Our team of aggressive legal professionals will work to provide you with the best defense and possible outcome. Call or visit our offices today.